Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's a Small World After All

One reason that I gave this post that title was so that you would have the song in your head the rest of the day :).

But the main reason is that it truly is a small world after all.  I can't tell you how many times my family and I have been on vacation and ran into people we knew from Arkansas.  This even happened when I was at an airport in Europe (I don't remember which city it was but probably London or Bern).  We were waiting for our plane to begin boarding and all of a sudden we hear our names being called out from across the terminal.  Sure enough, it was some good friends of ours from Benton who were also touring Europe. What are the odds?

And, of course, we always run into people that we have connections with at different churches across the country.  They either know us personally or somehow know a friend or family member of ours.  My parents recently visited a large church in Jonesboro and as they sat down in their pew, my dad commented that they should probably know someone there.  When the lady sitting next to him introduced herself they both realized that they were distantly related (cousins, I think).  What are the odds?

The same thing is true for San Antonio.  I can't tell you how many people we've met from Arkansas.  There are at least two people from Micah's work that are from there.  One is from Cabot and the other one graduated from Sylvan Hills and lived in Bryant for a while.  The man who unpacked and installed our washer and dryer was born in Searcy and still has family there and in North Little Rock.  And to top it off, there is a man a few houses down from us who was born in Mountain Home, but grew up in North Little Rock and his daughter is in Kaylee's class at school.  His dog's name is Woo Pig and he snorts like a hog.  What are the odds?

We've only been here a few weeks and we've already met many people from the Homeland.  My hopes are high and the odds seem good that we will continue to meet many more of our kind in the near future.  :)

Update:  1/29 - We visited a church yesterday and the couple sitting in front of us told us that they went to Harding.  After talking to them for a while, the woman realized that she was Micah's Sunday school teacher at the Letona church of Christ when he was little.  She attended church there while going to college.  Pretty cool, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that you are finding a bit of Arkansas in the foriegn land of Texas. You are loved and missed. Give the kids a big hug. We are proud of you! Find many adventures!!!!

    ReplyDelete